Friday, April 3, 2009

Mind Your Language

There is much to be said for the power of words. Just as everything that we attract starts with our thoughts, much of what we think is relayed in the words that we speak. This can be, and usually is, so automatic that we don’t even notice we’re doing it. For instance, how many times lately have you heard yourself say “I can’t afford it”? What about “that’s too expensive” or “I have so many bills” or “I’m in so much debt”… the list could go on, but I think you get the point.
Become aware of the images you are producing in your own mind with the words that you use, it is those images along with the verbal reiteration that will guarantee you manifest exactly that. Use positive language and use words that create positive images for example “Being wealthy makes me feel light and free and I have a bounce in my step!”. Compare this to “Being wealthy means I don’t have to endure the drudgery of working for someone else anymore”. Even though both are statements of what you want, one feels better than the other, this is because the mind does not process negatives like don’t and can’t, it simply conjures up an image of the words you’ve used. Remember: Always say it how you want it.

“Handle them carefully, for words have more power than atom bombs.”
- Pearl Strachan

To give you an example, one of my coaches, several years ago, started pulling me up on the language I was using. Every time I said “I can’t afford it” he would stop me and give me other examples to use, such as “my money is otherwise allocated”. Eventually it became natural to use only positive terminology, but it just required some practice at first to break the habit. I also wore a rubber band on my wrist for a month, and snapped it every time I caught myself saying something negative! This is a very effective strategy.

Pay close attention to the language that you’re using, and you may start to notice just how often you are reiterating the very situation you don’t want to be in. Don’t give it that much power! Change your language to the positive; instead of saying “I can’t afford it”, why don’t you try “I can afford it but I choose not to buy it today”, or “I’ve chosen to given something else financial priority”.

Put yourself back in control and know that if you really wanted it, you could absolutely find the money.
Consider this… If someone you love was injured and had to be rushed to hospital, and it was up to you to pay the hospital bills to keep them there or they may die… do you think you would find a way to get the money? I think so.

Remember that you always have a choice, and, even though the choice may not be a pleasant one to make, it is in your hands. You can always afford something if you need it, you just may choose to prioritise food this week, rather than a new pair of stilettos!
Similarly, feeling alive, healthy and energetic are magnets for prosperity, and positive outcomes. If you want to attract fantastic people, experiences, and opportunities into your life, then start putting out the right energy.

“Speech is the mirror of the soul; as a man speaks, so he is.”
- Publilius Syrus

Next time someone asks you “how are you?” You could respond with “actually I slept really badly last night, I’ve got a terrible headache, plus the kids are sick at the moment and I’ve got bills coming out of my ears”. But I don’t recommend it. How do you think that would make you – not to mention the poor person who, incidentally, will never ask you that again – feel in that moment? CRAPPY!

So you may have had a bad night’s sleep and have a headache, but do yourself a favour and give yourself the best chance at feeling great. So when someone asks “how are you?” try; “I’m sensational! How are you?” or “I feel phenomenal, and I’m getting better!”. You’ll probably scare the heck out of people and they won’t know what to think, but you may even put a smile on their face too. Best of all, you will really start believing yourself and that’s when the magic happens.

Tell it how it is… Tremendous!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment